Even though you might deny it, it won’t change the fact that you live in a world created by marketers. Advertising is a powerful force that has shaped our attitudes and behavior since the beginning of the 20th century when it got into radio, and the late 1940s when it got into television.
With great power comes great responsibility, but try telling that to someone working in the advertising field in the early 20th century. Even today, advertising doesn’t try very hard to conform to moral standards, but after looking back at some offensive, racist and sexist vintage ads – today’s ads are as good as gold.
Besides being discriminating, vintage ads were also full of lies. Interesting fact – the first American advertisement to use a sexual sell was created by a woman for a soap product.
Whether we like it or not, it is a piece of history worth seeing for everyone. Enjoy these 25 offensive vintage ads and, as always, don’t forget to tell us what you think.
1. The Harder A Wife Works, The Cuter She Looks!
2. Men Ask “Is She Pretty?” Not “Is She Clever?”
3. Doesn’t Your Mama Wash You With Fairy Soap?
4. Use “Chlorinol” And Be Like De White Nigger
5. Cocaine Toothache Drops
6. Keep Her Where She Belongs…
7. Cochon Prodigue
8. Show Her It’s A Man’s World
9. That’s What Wives Are For!
10. Youngest Customers In The Business
11. Don’t Worry Darling, You Didn’t Burn The Beer!
12. Men Are Better Than Women!
13. If Your Husband Ever Finds Out..
14. More Doctors Smoke Camels
15. More Doctors Smoke Camels #2
16. Blow In Her Face
17. Begin Early.Shave Yourself
18. It’s Nice To Have A Girl Around The House
19. Because Innocence Is Sexier Than You Think
20. Smoking Santa
21. Merry Christmas For Every Smoker!
22. Is It Always Illegal To Kill A Woman?
23. SEGA: The More You Play The Harder It Gets
You sit there, eyes glued to the writhing, arcade-quality graphics, pulling and squeezing your knob…
Now you can play with yourself for hours with SEGA’s hand held, full colour games system…
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.